Translate

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Hellebores

 It is near the end of April and the Hellebores are in full stride.






 About 15 years ago I planted 3 or 4 teeny, tiny, baby hellebores in a woodland garden.





I now have a woodland garden full of hellebores! These easy to grow beauties will happily reseed were ever you let them. My hellebores are the Royal Heritage Strain. They are a great perennial for dry shade.




 I love the freckled ones.


Though this double is a winsome beauty.



 The combinations are so varied and each one has a charm of it's own.






 Hellebores make nice cut flowers. They do however, have a propensity to grow with their faces down.




 This kind of vase makes for an enchanting hellebore arrangement.



 Cut a handful of flowers.



 Stick them in the vase.



 Enjoy!



South winds jostle them,
Bumblebees come,
Hover, hesitate,
Drink, and are gone.

Butterflies pause
On their passage Cashmere:
I softly plucking,
Present them here!
Emily Dickinson