Translate

Sunday, March 24, 2013

Tommy Crocus

 Hello Friend~

   One of the first flowers of spring in my garden is crocus tomassinianus; affectionately called the tommy crocus. This is a species crocus known for its early, vernal bloom. On the first fine, sunny, day these brave little charmers put forth their color. I have only ever seen these crocus in shades of lavender. It has a silvery sheen that glows in the thin, syrupy, light of spring.
 Tommy crocus are considered a heirloom variety; they will persist in a favorable location for generations, self sowing and spreading happily. I have then planted in two different locations. I have sheets of them planted in a woodland garden and I have planted about 100 of then in a piece of lawn. The ones in the woodland have done better. They have spread and the clumps have really multiplied. The crocus I planted in the grass have persisted but do not seem to be as vigorously multiplying. This could be because  my husband mows down the foliage with the first grass mowing; thus the clumps are not as hearty and they do not set seed.
William Moss
William Moss

   Even if you have a small garden you can find a spot for tommy crocus. Plant a small clump. You will be be glad you did! May you be blessed by the small joy of tommy crocus. I leave you with the small joy of joan walsh anglunds poem~

Like a crocus
                     in the snow
           .......I stand
                           knee deep in Winter,
                   holding
                            Springtime
                                            in my heart!
Powell Gardens
May you be blessed by the God who made springtime and crocus and may His light shine in your heart!

                                                   From, Gwen