Translate

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

How to replace wheels on rubbermaid cart




My husband bought me this cart over 15 years ago! It has served me well. Any one who has one of these Rubbermaid Utility Carts will tell you that the main complaint with this cart it that the plastic wheel spokes on the tires will break and finding a replacement tire is difficult.
....and that is what happened to me.....
Thanks to Google I found a tire that worked. It costs $32.99
The description of this tire on Amazon does not tell you but it comes with 3/4 in bearings and 5/8 in bearings. You will need the 5/8 inch ones.
IMPORTANT: This Marathon Industries tire in flat free and is slightly smaller that the original tire. If you are a slave to perfectionism you will have to replace both tires so they match. I know about these things as I will explain later.



The hardest part of this job turned out to be getting the broken tire off the axle. The nut holding the tire on was very rusted and when I tried to loosen the nut the whole axle would just turn. I actually had to have someone help me. They held the axle from turning and then I was able to loosen the nut.






After that the next challenge was getting the wheel off the axle.




I sprayed the whole thing down very well with rem oil. You could use whatever lubricant you have. Next turn the wheel a few times to work the oil down into the bearing.


As my tire was already broken I did not have to worry about breaking it, so at this point I took a hammer to the underside of it and convinced it to come off.



After that it was very easy to put everything back on in the order it came off, using the 5/8 inch bearing that came with the new tire.




........now about those wheels not matching. I used to be a slave to perfectionism. I could not love anything that I thought was not perfect. By the great love and mercy of God I have been set free. I particularly love my misfit wheel barrow because it reminds me of how 
God Loves Me.
 I have failed. 
I have made mistakes in my life.
I have been broken.
I have been a misfit.
I am not perfect.
I accept Gods love through Christ Jesus, for me, as a failed, broken, ugly, imperfect, misfit. 
And behold.......
all things are new.
I am a new creature.
May you know this God who makes beautiful things out of the mess of our lives.
May you know The Love that frees us from slavery.

 If you have read this post.
I have prayed for you.
Love, Gwen